The Managerial Background analysis tool enables researchers to examine how top managers and directors present their backgrounds to organizational stakeholders. By capturing a rich representation of the specific information in each sentence of a manager's background, the textual structures allow researchers to examine:
- Positions: Positions that a manager has had
- Qualifications: Educational achievements
- Professional Licenses: Legal licenses, such as professional
- Experiences: Qualitative description of experiences
- Background Information: Such as a manager's name/salutation
Integrating Upper Echelon and Impression Management Perspectives: This article explores possibilities for using the Managerial Backgrounds Textual Structures to integrating the upper echelon and impression management perspectives, considering the subtle ways in which managerial experiences can be shaped to meet audience expectations, and the opportunities to enrich the upper echelon literature by considering the influence of managers conforming to presented personas.